It’s a known fact that you will encounter quite a few problems if your business is not listed in the White Pages or registered with directory assistance.
First of all, your prospects will not be able to find you, and decide to do business with your competition.
Second, creditors check with Directory Assistance and the White Pages to make sure businesses are legitimate when they apply for credit.
Finally, if you don’t have a listing, people may think you’re running a scam instead of a legitimate business.
VoIP Lines, cell phone listings, work-at-home businesses, and DBA business names often don’t make it into the white pages, but you shouldn’t let that deter you. Just follow the four easy steps below to get listed in the White Pages and in Directory Assistance.
1) How to get listed for free in 411 Directory Assistance
To find out if your small business landline number is listed with 411, call the national directory assistance at 1+ area code + 555 + 1212.
If you are told that there is no listing, you have to first know if your number is a landline number, a cell phone number, or a VoIP number.
- If your business number is a landline: Inform 411 Directory Assistance that you are in fact the owner of the business, and ask them how to get listed locally. There will probably be a small charge. Or, go to this free form and input your information to get listed.
- If your business number is a VoIP number: You are completely dependent on your VoIP provider to get your number listed in 411. Many VoIP providers do not offer this feature but a few do. Press8 Telecom offers customers a business listing in 411 directory assistance for a small one-time $20 fee. For more information visit: www.press8.com.
- If your business number is a cell phone number: You will have to contact your cell phone service provider directly to ask if you can get your number listed on 411.
2) Get listed in White Pages
More than 40 million people visit WhitePages.com each month, and the brand powers more than 2 billion searches each year through both WhitePages and sister site 411.com. WhitePages is also available for iPhone and Android, through which they see more than 9 million visitors a month.
WhitePages allows business owners to create free business profiles. All you need to do is go to any profile page and click on the “Add, edit or remove a business listing” link. WhitePages does not provide its own page management system but instead directs you to Yext PowerListings. You’ll need to enter a business name and phone number, and Yext will perform a scan to find your business on multiple platforms, including SuperPages, Yellow Pages, Yelp, MapQuest, and Yahoo. Then, you’ll be able to update your profile for multiple search directories, including WhitePages.
Go to List Yourself
First, go to the List Yourself website. Many small businesses have used this site to get listed. Although you may have to list yourself multiple times, it’s a free service, so give it a shot.
2) Contact SuperPages
Next, head on over to SuperPages and register your business for a free listing. The free listing link is on the left navigation bar on the homepage.
3) Contact Verizon
Third, contact Verizon Wireless and request a Foreign Listing. You don’t actually need a Verizon number to get listed in their wireless 411 directories, but there will be an initial fee of $9.00 USD, followed by a $1.12 USD charge each month.